Incorrect Voltage Reading

Hi All
Any time I ask a question I like to start with a big thank you to
all the group. You guys are the best.
With my fans and lights on, I see my voltage meter reading very low
9v. I am worried that I would loose power completely. I had replaced the
alternator with a higher ampage one. But this is the weird thing, If I but
an multimeter on the battery I get 14.5v, at the same time I have only 9v
on the dash gauge ? Am I testing my voltage from the wrong location.

Thanks
Declan.