Re: [DML] cleaning trans filter

David,

I have rebuilt my automatic transmission filter the way David T explains.
It worked good but was very time consuming (and very rewarding if you are
into doing things the hard way.) There is nothing about the filter that I
would consider a 'wear item' -- meaning something that wears out and needs
to be replaced periodically. It is all metal, and any debris that collects
can be removed. Since I noticed that the magnet on my filter had more
particles on it than were in the filter, I added a few extra small
high-energy magnets from Radio Shack around the perimeter. The next time I
take the tranny apart, I'll find out how effective they are.

In the DML archives, members expressed their opinion that it may be better
to run without the filter in the transmission due to the idea that it
restricts fluid flow too much. I disagree. After rebuilding my filter, I
noticed that it has a lot of surface area which means not much restriction.
I'm no expert on fluid dynamics, but IMHO I think it is better to use a
filter.

I would like to see someone make a new DeLorean product that will make
filter rebuilding easier. I think the best way would be to make a double
ring that is the shape of the perimeter of the filter. The two halves would
fit together and hold the filter together with screws. If I allocated some
time to the project, I could make several in a batch. But right now my
current car project is making DeLorean convex side mirrors. It's a similar
project in that it involves cutting out irregular shaped curves. Only glass
is harder to cut.

Mirror, mirror on my car, who has the coolest DeLorean of them all?
Walt Tampa, FL