Re: cleaning trans filter

You cannot tell how dirty the filter is unless it is disassembled. If
you soak it you may loosen some of the dirt but some will stay to
loosen up later after you reinstall the filter. To clean the filter
involves grinding the edge off all the way around and separating the
pieces noting the order of assembly so as to be able to reassemble
correctly. You also have to drill out the 3 holes. After cleaning
thoroughly reassemble. YOU MUST REASSEMBLE IN THE PROPER ORDER THE
MESH AND THE SUPPORT BAFFLE! To hold it together get a piece of 1/4
copper tubing 19 1/2" long. Slit lengthwise with a cut-off tool or
hacksaw. Using little "c" clamps to hold the filter together hammer
the tubing all around soldering the ends together. Now in the future
you only have to remove the tubing to clean the filter. The oil in the
final drive really doesn't ned to be changed too often, just keep it
at the proper level. Any good quality 80-90# gear oil will do fine,
synthetics are not needed.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757