Re: [DML] Lightened flywheels and other performance stuff

Re: [DML] Lightened flywheels and other performance stuff

MODERATOR NOTE] this is the correct answer - there is no "flywheel" as such in an automatic car. End of Thread]

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Aaron King wrote:

> I am trying to figure out some different things I can do to my car (81
> auto trans) to make it perform better without (1) swapping out the
> things I could do that would cost less. These things might include:
> Cam regrinding, lightened flywheel, headers/exhaust work, and air
> intake work.

I don't think the auto transmission even *has* a flywheel, so that's
pretty well out. :} Lightening the flywheel is only an option for manual
transmissions, in general. It would probably be a pretty good option on
the DeLorean, unfortunately, it would have to be specially made to balance
the engine, and I don't know anyone making them.

One trick that is done on other cars is to not do any balancing with the
flywheel at all, and use the balancing weights from an automatic
transmission's flexplate. This way you can balance your engine without
having to take special precautions. This only works if the counterweight
is detachable though, and is a moot point except for the flywheel maker :}

> The cam regrinding would cost me ~$100 for both, assuming I can remove
> and reinstall them myself. I don't know if I can do that or not, so
> I'm holding off on that for now.

This is tricky also because of the way the cams are made. Only the
surface is hardened, the cam material is generally fairly soft and would
wear quickly if they were reground. You could still do it, you would
simply have to either be prepared for this wear, or find a way to
re-harden the surfaces (I think this is what DMC Houston does).

> I contacted Dave Burrows at DRB Car Spares & Accessories in England
> about headers. Apparently, they are still in development and Custom

It should not be that hard, any hot-rod shop could probably manage it.

> Oh, maybe I should mention why I'm posting this. I guess I'm just
> frustrated when I get smoked off the line by a chevy panel van even

You should make sure that your car is running right. While any modern
sportscar, most modern sedans and the occasional SUV are faster than the
DeLorean, I think you should still be able to take a panel van :} So
perhaps something is not quite right somewhere.