From: "Aaron King" <floodle@xxxx>
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2001 5:44 PM
Subject: [DML] Lightened flywheels and other performance stuff

> I am trying to figure out some different things I can do to my car (81
auto trans) to make it perform better without (1) swapping out the engine
which would cost big $$$ or (2) getting the engine upgrade from Houston
which would also cost big $$$. Also, a turbo from Turbo Manifold Co is out
of the question at $6000. So far, I have a list of things I could do that
would cost less. These things might include: Cam regrinding, lightened
flywheel, headers/exhaust work, and air intake work.

> The cam regrinding would cost me ~$100 for both, assuming I can remove and
reinstall them myself. I don't know if I can do that or not, so I'm holding
off on that for now.

> A lightened flywheel can provide a pretty big performance boost. However,
I read a message in the archives by DMC Joe that said only the stock
flywheel should be used. DMC Joe (or whoever), could you expand on that?

> I contacted Dave Burrows at DRB Car Spares & Accessories in England about
headers. Apparently, they are still in development and Custom Chrome (the
manufacturer) says they won't be available until late this year or early
next. Oh, well. Maybe then.

> Air intake work. I can't find anything at all here. Every so often a
thread comes around on the list about someone taking the initiative and
designing a new airbox\intake system. It hasn't happened yet, so for now,
I'm just satisfied with the K&N filter and removed valve thingy.

> Oh, maybe I should mention why I'm posting this. I guess I'm just
frustrated when I get smoked off the line by a chevy panel van even when I
have it floored. Grrrrrr. I guess I still love my car anyway..... :)