Re: [DML] Auto trans lever wont go into 1st

Re: [DML] Auto trans lever wont go into 1st

Aaron,

Before you do anything, be sure that your transmission is not always
starting out in second gear due to a faulty computer governer!

That said, you have the earlier console shift linkage like mine has (up to
VIN 4836). The later VINs have a different design as shown in the parts
manual.

I have noticed similar problems with my early console as well as on other
cars with early consoles. The first problem is that the moving plastic
piece that fills the slot (from part # 106347 'automatic quadrant') gets in
the way when shifting past 'drive'. Mine has bent, split & cracked enough
that I took it out. I intend to replace it with some plastic cut from a
black plastic bottle or some similar plastic. First I'm going to ask one of
the vendors next time I order parts to see if any of them have a better
idea. However, I am not willing to replace a poorly designed part with
another of the same design.

Even without the plastic filler piece jamming the shifting, the shifter
plate itself (the outer surface of part # 106347) keeps mine from going into
1st gear. If I completely remove the plate, then it goes into 1st just
fine. I suppose I either need to mount my entire console a little further
back or cut the slot a little longer. Neither of these sound like the right
thing to do. Another possibility could be to move the shifter pivot point
further forward, but there isn't any room for adjustment. (But that
wouldn't stop me from trying. :) How does the saying go? If it jambs then
force it. If it breaks, then it needed replacing anyway.

Another problem with mine is that the 'pawl ring' part # 108309 pivots on
the 'baulk lever' part # 101399. It shouldn't do this. When it does, it
allows the shifter to be moved into any position (even reverse or park)
without lifting the baulk lever. I got sick of messing with it and just
removed the whole thing. The mechanism works better without it except
I have to be careful not to bump the thing into reverse or park while
driving. The 'drive' position is pretty easy to find without it. Someday I
plan on making a new double sided pawl ring along with a new double sided
cog piece that will fit over and modify the 'housing' part # 105427. If it
works, I'll mass produce it and wholesale it to the vendors.

Walt Tampa, FL