Re: [DML] Tires

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Christian Williams wrote:

> side a little better. I'm thinking about at least replacing the other
> front tire, but I may replace all around (basically because I'm
> obsessive/compulsive like that). I know that most guys dig on the

That's not obsessive-compulsive, that's the right thing to do. You should
never mix tires left to right. Mixing front to back is OK, but not a very
good thing if you can avoid it.

If these Phantoms are available in both correct sizes, that's quite a
find; there aren't really any "luxury" tires that really fit right.

> Yokohamas. I may switch to those if I can determine that they ride as
> well as these Phantoms.

People don't like Yokohamas for the ride, but for the overall quality of
the tire. They are high performance tires and, while they ride a little
better than the NCT's, ride is not what they are designed for. They stick
to the ground like they're bolted down, though.

This is referring to the specific Yokohama AVS Intermediate tire. Like
most tire companies Yokohama makes a wide variety of tires which all have
different characteristics.

> only 9 months old so I don't think that age is a factor. Could it be the
> difference between 85S and 85T? What does that designation represent?

Speed rating. I believe S rated tires are rated to 100 mph and T rated to
110. (Or maybe it's the other way around.)