Re: Transmission question

The shifter cable lets fluid seep out and then it runs down and looks
like it is the pan gasket. The fix involves removing the shifter cable
and covering it's entire length with heat shrink tubing. Rob Grady has
the tubing and when you order it he can give you pointers on how to do
it. The final drive on all Deloreans seeps as the Hylomar that is used
never seems to seal completly. The only fix there is to remove the
trans, split the final drive and reseal with silicone. It isn't really
too important as it doesn't really leak as much as seep so if you can
live with a drop or two I wouldn't bother execpt if you had to do a
trans job anyway.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, madmap70@xxxx wrote:
> Mike-
>
> I can't imagine that every Delorean has some sort of transmission
leak. My guess is that those that do probably are a result of age,
use (normal wear and tear)or non-use. I have a minor transmission leak
coming from my '83 automatic and it only has 3900 miles. Probably the
result of very limited use. I'm told its the transmission pan gasket
and the shift cable. As soon as I determine the specific part number
for the shift cable (it apperas to be a hose of some kind that has a
kink in it and you can see the tranny fluid seeping out of it), I'm
having both parts replaced.