New Delorean Owner

Hello everyone,

Since two days I've been the very happy owner of VIN #4597. Seems to be a
very nice car but it does need alot of work so I'll probably be asking all
sorts of irritating questions over the comming month:-)

I've seen some mails the past few days about people getting locked in their
Delorean. This happened to my dad sitting in the passenger seat but for a
different reason. My window system broke the evening after I bought it (yeah
some luck) and I spend a good day of yesterday removing the window mechanism
to find out what was wrong with it. I'm still nog sure, the electric motor
runs find when removed from the mechanism, but attached it just freezes up.
Still no idea why but I haven't had time to look at it further. I've mounted
something on the frame of the door to keep the window up and that will have
to do until I fix the mechanism:-)

As for the door locking. On my driver side it doesn't even work although I
do hear it click. On the passenger side it worked perfectly until I removed
the window mechanism. I did fix one of the, ehm sorry, no idea what their
called (I guess their those solenoids everyone keeps talking about?:-),
anyway, the things that move the rods that open/close the locking mechanism.
It was attached using some plastic bonding things instead of using bolts
like the other ones. So maybe I changed its position a bit or something, I
have no idea. But the doors don't unlock. I need to push one of the rods a
bit to get it unlocked completely.

I think I still have the stock components in. Atleast I haven't found any
evidence of having lockzilla components. Am thinking about changing the
asap.

Sorry about not knowing all the technical names, I've studied electronics,
not car repairs, I have alot to learn:-)

Anyways, hope to learn alot from you guys and maybe be able to give
something back!

Ohyeah, another nice one. The car manufacturing date stamped on the plate
mounted in the door sais august 81, but the guy who made the frame of my
passenger car door has signed it, checked OK september 1981, guess my door
was mounted later <grin>.

Bastiaan Olij
Owner of Vin #4597 build august 1981 since 21 June 2001