Re: Lambda Sensor (was: Re: Advice on tuning my engine)

William T Wilson wrote:

> > I thought the O2 sensor was before the cat on a delorean
> The O2 sensor is before the cat on every fuel injected car
[snip]

This is true, what I meant with the freeer flow of the exhaust gasses can be
understood best if you compare the cat with a revolving door: a limited amount
of people can go through per time unit. The people that cannot go through right
away crowd up the space just before the door, to get through as soon as
possible, if you remove the door the people can go through much faster, so there
is no crowding. With gasses this is the same: the cat is restrictive, so this
accumulates gasses just before the cat, at the connection where the X-over pipe
meets the left manifold and that is where the O2-sensor sits... (just in front
of the "door")

> Removal of the cat should not upset the O2 sensor at all. Since the O2
> sensor is not used at full throttle conditions and (IIRC) is not used at
> idle either,

I did not know this, I guess I have to study the manuals some more...

> I would look elsewhere for the problem. While a problem with
> the O2 sensor might be responsible for very bad gas mileage,

I'll just see what the shop comes up with tomorrow; I passed along all good tips
I got.
The O2-sensor can be ruled out if you ask me: this was replaced less than 1500
miles ago for my cars' first 30,000 miles service :-)

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at: