Re: [DML] Nationality of DeLorean

When JZD decided for whatever reason to have the car completly re-
engineered from the groud up, the only suitable choice for the job
was Lotus. They had the most reasonable price, and were within the
best deadline. Even if built in the USA, I would have to say that
Lotus would have played a role none the less. But if it had of been
built on US soil, I would have to agree that it is very doubtful the
DMC-12 would have gotten off the ground. Even if they would have had
the same funding, I doubt the workforce would have been as good. It
is an American car because the company is American. But it is a
totally european design. I imagine and American workforce would have
had the same amount of problems adjusting to building a DeLorean
design, as the Irish workforce had learning to build cars overall.

I know this may ruffle a few feathers, but there would have been WAY
more politics and petty issues to resolve in the USA. Even reading a
story written by a worker at the Bricklin factory in New Brunswick.
When the Bricklin assembly lines started, everyone was eager to build
the new cars. But later on when the union came in and started talking
to people, they ended up killing a good deal of the workers moral.
That slowed down production, and lowered the build quality people put
into the cars. Chances are, this too would have happed to DMC in
America.

Bottom line: No matter what has happened to DMC, nor what could have
been, one thing is true. Northern Ireland was not just the best
choice, it was the only true possibility for success. Setting aside
what happened later on with the British govt., DMC probably never
would have gotten off the ground without their funding and early
support.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham@xxxx> wrote:
> IF the car had been built in the USA...... I doubt that there would
have
> been any Lotus involvement. Without their input, and the British
Taxpayers