Re: AC Compressor wont come on

In the description it was indicated that although the cooling fans
cycled they didn't run continuosly with the a/c on. It was also
indicated that there wasn't any power at the compressor. This leads me
to believe that the low pressure switch is probably holding back the
power due to a low pressure condition in the system. There is no high
pressure switch although the manual mentions one. The cooling fans are
supposed to cycle against the otterstadt switch in the coolant pipe
but if the mode switch is in the A/C position and the low presssure
switch is "on" it forces the cooling fans to run continuosly. If the
A/C cylcles against the low pressure switch the fans might shut down
if the otterstadst switch is satisfied. I think the fanzilla will
force the cooling fans to run when the A/C switch is on regardless of
the otterstadt or low pressure switch. Just because the cooling fans
run you cannot assume the power is comming from the mode switch. The
fact that there was no power at the compressor clutch means the
cooling fans were not being run by the A/C circuit. There is no need
to worry electricaly about the compressor clutch since it won't run if
no power is present.(You can always just do a continuity check of
the coil on the compressor clutch) The trouble is in the circuit
before that. I think that your understanding is not taking into
account that the cooling fans can be run from 2 different circuits,
the otterstadt switch and the A/C compressor circuit.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> David, As per the diagram, The voltage comes thru #10 fuse the
> goes thru the mode switch then goes thru a low pressure and
> some cars may also have a high pressure switch.

[moderator snip]