Re: rain leak over sun visor

In a message dated 6/12/01 9:39:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jake@xxxx writes:

> i've got a leak, but doesn't seem to be the door seals, in fact i
> thought it was the windshield, but it doesnt seem like water could
> get up under the ridge. the leak (as far as i can tell, although
> water does tend to be sneaky) is up at the very front of the car on
> the passenger side about 3 inches in from the edge of the sun visor
> that is closest to the center of the car (puddled on the top of the
> sun visor today).
>
> anyone seen this? any ideas?

Yeah, I had this too. I gather it happened while the car was parked? It's
not uncommon. The headliner material can be cut just a tad too long when
installed, so that little strips of it cross the door lip under the door
gasket, and peek out under the gasket into the gutter. These soak up water
which will spread into the headliner. It's amazing how much water will
siphon down into the car. It will actually drip. The cure: peel you door
gaskets up off the door lip, and look for little strips of muddy headliner
ends trailing into the gutter. Trim them off with a small, sharp pair of
scissors. Not too much, you need to have enough material to grip the door
lip. But enough to keep the outer edge up out of the gutter water. Worked
for me.

Wayne A, Ernst
DMCTech Group