Re: Cam removal for performance grind...

Re: Cam removal for performance grind...

The Delorean is a Dual cam. Removing the cams will require the
removal of the following items: The rocker arms, cylinder heads
(since you have the remove the head bolts to remove the rocker arm
assembly), timing chain cam sprocket, air intake assembly and other
small misc. things. You will then have to re-set all the timing's on
the timing chains unless you have a special tool that will hold the
chain in place while you remove the head (mark the sprocket and the
chain with a straight line so you know how to line them up). Look in
the workshop manual and you will see a picture of the tool. You will
also need a tourqe wrench and a special degree dial tool (you can
also use a protractor) to set the tourqe for the head bolts. Again
you can see a picture of the tool in the work shop manual.

When removing the heads from the block...BE VERY careful. The
DeLorean engine is a "wet bank" engine meaning that there are cast
iron sleeves in the block for the pistons. They are just sitting in
there and are held into place by the force of the heads. There is a
small paper ring gasket that is under them (mating surface of the
sleeve that goes to the block) and they come in different thickness.
If you just pull the heads off you may risk taking one of the sleeves
out along with it and that would be BAD! You'll then have to remove
all of the sleeves from that bank and replace the seals under the
sleeves. Those paper seals will tear if the sleeves come out. It
separates the oil from the coolant in the block. The reason why you
would have to replace all the sleeve seals in the one bank if only
one came out is because you won't know what thickness the original
seal was (they are also used as shims) and if you just replace one
then it may either be thicker (causing the sleeve to sit higher than
the other two) or thinner (causing the sleeve to sit lower than the
other two). Either way will cause the new head gasket not to seat
properly. Rock the head back and forth gently until it breaks free
from the block. Once it feels free carefully lift up on it while
watching to see if any of the sleeves are sticking to the head / head
gasket. Usually the head gasket will stick to the block...which will
be a good thing. I have rebuilt my engine in my Delorean so I know
every inner working part in it. It is not to difficult but it takes
patience and a lot of care.

If you need further assistance or have any questions email me.