Zero to sixty in HOW many?

I pulled up next to a buddy at a red light on the way to work this
morning, and we had it out! I beat him...just barely, and he's
driving an Acura Integra (0-60 in 8.9 I think). He said I would've
beat him handily if I had come off the line faster. Part of that is
my driving skill, since I started out at idle. I'm just NOT willing
to do what the Automotive Press does, such as sidestepping the clutch
at 5000 RPMs. Also, the DMC is geared very differently; I was winding
up 1st gear when he was half-way through second gear, even through he
redlines close to 8K RPMs. I probably should have turned off the A/C,
too.

But now I'm trying to find 0-60 times for a stock Delorean...with no
luck. Or too much luck, that is: I've found 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 seconds
so far (big difference!) The latter and slowest figure comes from the
test drive by Car and Driver; DMC's own literature says 8.8.

It gets more complicated when I try to get a curb weight. The numbers
I find vary by over 100 pounds, including the two different figures
listed in the dmcnews.com FAQ!

This is why I haven't gone out and gotten any 0-60 times with the new
engine, since I can't find realistic stock figures, and I question my
own ability to push the car that hard. Hint: with my old engine, the
best 0-60 I could muster was in the 16-17 second range! I always come
up about 50% high above published 0-60 times, regardless of the car.

If I were to give *MY* 0-60 time with the new engine, it would look
like the car got slower. :-)

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
4695