Ignition tune-up parts (was: bosch)

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Ryan Foster" <westiething@xxxx> wrote:
> Ok, so I want to go to my local parts store Auto Zone and get
> a cap rotor, plugs, and plug wires.
> What is the Bosch part numbers for the Cap, rotor, plug wires...

You should contact your Friendly Neighborhood Delorean Parts Vendor.
I checked usadmc.com and they have the rotor/cap for about $50, and
the wires for about $100. I doubt AutoZone could beat that price
substantially and will be of ZERO assistance with the specifics of
your DMC.

If you're determined to get the parts locally, the store should have
application data available. I used to work for CCI/Triad, who
supplies auto parts databases to the auto industry, and the parts men
loved to point out the inadequacies of our computer system by
attempting to look up the most exotic and esoteric cars, including
the Delorean. (I didn't have my DMC at the time). These cars had
very few listings for parts, but did show most tune-up parts like
filters.

Come to think of it, our database was limited to 20 years (I think)
so they might not find a 1981. No problem, they should have a 6-foot
rack of parts catalogs with application data. Not there? They can
pick up the phone and call the warehouse, which they'll need to do
anyway if the parts aren't in stock; they should special-order such
parts without additional charge if the warehouse has them.

And if they still can't find a listing, you don't want to order "real
close" items anyway. You're best bet is a Delorean supplier.

We used to amuse ourselves by finding crossovers in the computer and
pointing out that such listings are not absolute. We could find a
filter from manufacturer "A" that crossed to the filter of mfg "B",
which subsequently crossed to "C". But "A" and "C" did not cross to
each other, and if you put the 3 side-by-side they were all
completely different.

Remember, when you look at a crossover from "Phram" for your Toyota
Crapola, it's not a filter endorsed or even approved by Toyota, it's
the closest thing that "Phram" manufactures that will thread into
your engine without air tools. They have to list something in their
catalog, or they can't sell to you, right? DON'T USE A CROSSOVER IF
YOU CAN AVOID IT, USE THE RIGHT PART THE FIRST TIME!

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
4695