Re: Is Dave Sontos still around?

For hesitation problems, it may be one of the following:

1. Sticking or Binding air flow plate. If the airflow sensor plate
binds on the way up, fuel flow will be limited and the engine will
sag or stumble.

2. Sticking or binding Control plunger. If the control plunger binds
on the way up, fuel flow will be limited and the engine will stumble
or sag.

3. Incorrect System or Control pressure (you'll need a K-Jet gauge to
measure this). If the system pressure is too high or if the control
pressure is too high (high system pressure will usually cause a high
control pressure) the movement of the control plunger will be limited
and the engine will begin to run lean as the airflow increases.

OR

4. Unequal injector flow.

You can check 1,2 and 4 by removing ALL of the fuel injectors and
placing them in a jar. Jump the RPM relay to turn on the fuel pump.
Note the spray patterns on all of the injectors; they should be close
if not equal. Next, with the air box removed carefully press down on
the air meter flap and verify that there are no restrictions (should
go all the way down). There should be a slight opposing force, that's
the fuel pressure against the control plunger. It should go down
smoothly and you should see more fuel (again close to if not equal
amount) spraying from all of the injectors. The spray pattern should
also be in a cone shape, should not be in a straight stream spraying
out of one side. If it is spraying out like a straight stream then
the injector is either dirty or bad.

In order to check 3 you'll need a Fuel pressure gauge for the Bosch K-
Jet system. That's the only accurate way to tell if the fuel pressure
is too high in the system or if the Warm up regulator is bad.

Steve

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Sacha Prins <sprins@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for Dave Sontos who sent me a URL once with directions
> solve 'engine hesitation' problems:
>
> > Hesitation, hard starting, backfire in engine, are all related to
fuel
> > startvation problems in a cold engine. Visit my web page at
> > http://www.vabch.com/dsontos/Regulator.html for a full
explination of
> > how to fix your problem.
>
> Unfortunately the URL mentioned is not available anymore nor is
Dave via