[no subject]

I've been away from the DML for a couple of days, and I am now just
catching up on things. Of the subjects that have come up for example
is the airbox discussion. I think that it is great that everyone is
working together to develop improvements for the DeLoren. However,
there is one major item that has been overlooked here. That item is
RESEARCH! The airbox discussion started out as haing the current
airbox remade out of stainless steel. The subject then also evolved
into a possible improved overall airbox anf filter design, which is
perfectly fine. But in using these two items as examples, neither
debate used reseach as a tool. With the stainless steel airbox, it is
correct that heat transferance is a problem in the way of engine
performance. Even when advertising it's new Generation II intake
performance kit (though not available for the DeLorean), K&N lists
this statement as one of the products benefits: "Heat-resistant
materials keep air traveling inside the tube cooler than metal
tubes." So even by this alone we know that a metal intake would be
detramental to engine performance since we do need to keep incoming
air as cool as possible.

The second topic here is the improved air box design. The main idea
here that everyone has been looking into seems to be a design with an
in-line installed high performance air filter. Well, the answer has
been under everyone's nose all along. The 1982-1988 Volvo 760 V-6!
The car uses practicly the same setup as the DeLorean application.
The airbox on the DeLorean is the same as the Volvo 260 series cars.
But when Volvo introduced the 760, they redesigned the airbox and
intake. Here the filter is mounted remotely from the engine and
attaches via a fexable hose to the slim designed intake on the
engine. Plus it also has the connection for the breather hose on the
oil cap. This intake could have a high flow cone air filter mounted
directly onto it. From here larger hose and an "air bath" could be
constructed with a flexable intake hose then mounted to the cool air
intake in the pontoon. Plus with this design you could include or
omit the air intake valve at your descresion depending on weather
conditions. The best part of this design is that there would be less
restrictions than just leaving the filter out of air box. I could be
wrong, but I imagine that omitting the filter could have the same
problems with turbulence as hollowing out the catalytic converter.
Plus if the filter were only installed into the intake valve (or
flapper as others have called it) there would be MUCH less surface
area for the air filter to operate.

Something else to think about is appearance. I've seen the idea about
an intake that could go up thru the louvers. To be honest, this is a
bad idea. Structal integraty and the amount of drag it would cause
aside, it is an extreme modification with irreversable results.
Grandted you may not ever sell you car, so originality is not a
concern. But you may not be happy with the results either now or some
day down the road. For now I would keep things simple. If for some
reason you feel that the one single intake isn't going to provide you
with the air your engine will need, they why not just utilize the
intake on the drivers side?

In conclusion I just wanted to post this so everyone will have an
understanding that research is the best and most effective tool that
anyone can use. If you are looking for engine upgrades, first take a
look at other applications of you motor and see what was done
differently. And see what options are available with what you
currently have on your car. With a little research you can most time
answer your own questions, and you can have the solution to your
problems alot faster!

-Robert