Re: [DML] Stainless Steel air filter box

Re: [DML] Stainless Steel air filter box

If this thread is getting out of hand, then let the moderator tell everyone
to e-mail me about this privately. Otherwise, I think this is the ideal
forum to brain storm a better design. Whether I or someone else builds this
or profits from it is not the point. The point is to enjoy and improve our
cars. If I end up building it, then I will mark it up a conservative amount
and sell it through the D vendors if they are willing. Otherwise, I'll just
sell it through the internet. That is unless someone else wants the job of
building these.

Since Marty got a 3HP gain by adapting a K&N filter, then I'm curious to
know how much horsepower can be gained by running the engine without any
filter or air box at all. (Just for testing purposes.) Has anyone done a
dyno test to find out? I'm sure one of the performance guys at DMC Houston
may have tried this. Please let me know. This would help establish a goal
of minimum restriction.

My opinion so far is that the best filter box design would use cool outside
air from the OEM location and bring it to the engine through a flexible hose
(like the OEM design). There isn't enough room above the engine for a
cup-shaped filter. If a cup-shaped filter were used in-line on the side of
the engine, then this would take away from the length of the flex-pipe.
Since the engine torques and moves in relation to the engine compartment, a
reasonable length flexible hose is needed to absorb the vibration without
breaking. This brings me to the conclusion that a design more like the OEM
is the most practical.

The only other variation that I can come up with for now is to re-design a
shutter valve that would also be an air box which could house a cup filter.
Then the OEM filter box could be left in place without the filter. Is this
a bad idea?

If anyone knows of or has archived photos of custom made air intake systems
(excluding turbo and superchargered systems) please e-mail them to me
privately or send me a link.

Thanks,
Walt Tampa, FL