Re: mirror switch followup

Hank Eskin wrote:

> I'm still obsessed with my mirror switch problem. Can someone explain how
> the switch/mirror function with respect to the LEFT and UP movements?
> According to the wiring diagram at M:18:18, it appears as if the both
> mirrors are controlled by the same lead (White/Purple WP and White/Brown
> WN), except for the addition of those two capacitors on the right mirror,
> wouldn't both mirrors move up if +12V is applied to either of these two
> leads? I'm not sure how those capacitors function to direct the current on
> either lead to the proper mirror, and not both. And since I don't have a
> functioning switch or switch schematic, I can't test it myself, and I'm not
> an EE.

The tiny "joystick" gives signals to the WP (White Purple) and WN (White
Brown)-wires on BOTH mirrors at the same time, BUT it depends on the posistion
of the slider beneath the joystick which mirror is connected to BOTH end s of
the SWITCH: with the slider to the right, the WG (White Green) and W
(White) wires are NOT connected to the joystick, so the mirror doesn't move.
Slide it to the left and the WU (White Blue) and WR (White Red) wires are
disconnected, so the other mirror doesn't move...

The capacitors seem to function as "noise supressors" since the wires goint to
the right have to pass the radio-wiring. As you might know, an electric motor
causes a lot of electric noise on its' leads and these capacitors dampen this
noise without the functioning of the motors and/or being hindered.

Hope this helps you out.

Now that i'm on the subject, has anyone ever tried to replace this switch with
one that can work both mirrors at the same time and can be switched over to
controlling only the left one? I've seen this on a couple of more modern cars
and realy like it: you adjust the right mirror to your needs while controlling
both, then switch to left only and adjust that one. Now put it in the right-hand
position again and when you change your seating position, or switch drivers you
only have to adjust the right mirror and the left one is OK too!

I DO have to note that on the righthand-position the wires for Left-Right-motion
are switched for the left mirror: when you put the mirror inwards (=left), the
left mirror goes inwards too (=right on that side). the Up-Down is just parralel...

Is there any other fitting switch that gives more precise adjustment, or has
anyone ever succesfully built a custom configuration? Maybe built out of several
smaller switches???

Thanks,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...