Re: Water Pump and A/C Idler bearings

I used Hylomar gasket dressing on the back of my water pump housing.
Make sure you replace the paper gasket as this sealant is only a
dressing for it, it's not to be used without some sort of gasket. The
Hylomar sealant can be found at any Pep Boys. It says that one of the
uses for it is water pump applications. Great stuff, it doesn't
harden and it allows for easy disassembly in the future since it
doesn't dry.

As for the A/C idler pulleys, you will need to remove the pulley's
with the bracket they are mounted onto off the engine. Next remove
the bolts on the back of the pulley that are attaching the
pulley/mounting stud to the bracket and knock the stud out of the
center of the pulleys. Clean out the center of each pulley (where the
stud was) with some brake cleaner and you will see that there is an
internal "C" clip holding the bearing in. You will need a pair of C
clip pliers to remove them. Each pulley has two of them, one on the
front and one on the rear, remove them both. You will need the press
the bearings out. What I did was I placed the pulley flat down onto
an open vise, the vice was opened enough to allow the bearing to fall
through. Don't clamp the pulley into the vice, just place it on top
of the partially open jaws, like I said only open them enough for the
bearing to pass through. I then placed a socket the same diameter as
the bearing into the center of the pulley, resting on the bearing.
Gently strike it with a hammer a few times and the bearing should
come loose and come out. To install the new ones, Install one of the
C clips into the pulley. At the other open end place the bearing into
it and place the same socket you used to remove the old bearing on
top of the new one. Again, make sure it's the same diameter, if it's
smaller it may damage the bearing. It should sit on the outer metal
portion of the bearing and it should also fit into the hole in the
pulley. Give it a couple of gentle strikes until the bearing bottoms
out on the C clip you installed previously. Install the other C clip
and assemble it back onto the brackets and engine. Also be sure you
replace the "O" ring seal.

Steve