Re: [DML] A/C compressor

With the engine off try to turn the compressor by hand. If it will
turn by hand then it could just be that the belt is loose. If it won't
turn by hand the compressor is bad. If with a tight belt it still
squeals it could mean that the compressor is bad or the pressures are
way too high or the system is contaminated. If you are unfamiliar with
automotive a/c systems it would be best to bring it to a service
station. The system is very standard and easy to troubleshoot.
Bring the workshop manual and the shop should be able to do whatever
is needed. If a compressor is required the Delorean venders have them
in stock or there are shops that can rebuild them. Generally if a
compressor goes bad it means the system is contaminated and must be
COMPLETELY cleaned out or the replacement will soon fail too. Don't
let the shop talk you into a replacement freon. Although R-12 is
expensive it is still the best refill. I urge you to repair the a/c as
it can be very uncomfortable trying to drive a Delorean without a/c
unless the temp is lower than about 60 degrees or you drive with the
dors open!.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757