Speedo. light problems...

Ever since I bought my D about 6 months ago, I noticed that the
speedometer consol's light seemed strangely dim. I haven't asked
or done anything about it since, but the other day while taking my
D out at night, I noticed that the light was suddenly BRIGHT after
starting the car up. It stayed that way (which I thought was cool,
but strange) for about 10-15 minutes, then it went dim again.

Do I have some sort of short somewhere? Did I move a nob to
adjust the brightness of the consol light? What is going on here?

As usual, thank you for your guy's great help in advance,

Richard