Fuel Pick Up Hose Substitute.

No, there is no suitable replacement for the part. When you look at
the hose, you'll see that it is pre formed into a "P" shape with 90°
elbows at each end. Any regular hose that you find will be straight.
And since it will need to be resistant to gasoline, it will be just
as soft as the original. In otherwords, it will kink when you install
it. The larger, more stiff vapor/breather hose will not work either.
It is composed of 2 layers: Inner layer is soft, gasoline resistant
type rubber, and the outside is just regular hard rubber. The gas
will eat thru and seperate the rubber layers, and you'll be back to
the same situation.

I know what you probably thinking now, and the answer is no there as
well. Making your own 90° elbows out of brass will not work as a
substitute. The brass can leak, and you cannot use teflon tape to
seal it.

You might be able to get away with another type of hose temporarily,
but I would not reccomend that you even open up the fuel tank again
untill you have all the nessisary parts to install. For what it may
even cost in gas to run around town, plus what you will pay for the
substitute parts, can add up to almost a third of the cost for the
new pickup hose. If you bite the bullet and get the new $91 hose, you
will be much more happy with the results in the end.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "The Floodle" <floodle@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
As it turns out, the hose that connects the fuel pump to the baffle
is completely missing (!), which means the fuel pump is sucking gas
directly from the top of the tank. I looked on delorean.com and the
part is $91. Does anyone else know of a replacement that does not
cost as much? Will standard fuel line work just as well?
<SNIP>