Re: [DML] DeLorean Dies

In a message dated 3/29/01 9:26:13 PM Central Standard Time,
rpeckhoff@xxxx writes:

> How feasible would it be for anyone who knows anything about the
> production process to refurbish the dies. Is it possible? Why would
> I want to do this? Because it is there. Because it would make it
> possible for anyone to make the firestar 500 (The modernized
> delorean.) It would make it much harder to get those rare quarter
> panels.

This one comes up sometimes, at least once since i've joined the list last
fall. like others have said and will say, there is a lot more to this than
you might think. it will probably never happen unless we can get some real
money behind it by someone who wants to donate it to the cause i.e. filthy
rich car collector like Jay Leno.

as for the firestar 500, the original dies have nothing to do with that car.
have you ever seen pictures of it? the car is a lot more than just a
'revamped original DeLorean'.

also, i think it would be easier to just have someone donate a car to a
machine shop or something who has experience in this field and they can make
some new dies for a much lower cost. however, the time for this has not come
yet. parts are still available. maybe when they're all gone, THEN this will
finally happen.

those dies are gonna sit in Davey Jones' locker for a LONG time, i think....

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102