RE: [DML] PLANING FOR A DELOREAN

>> The deal w/CD-RW is their is no standard amongst
>> manufacturers so the compression technology is typically not compatible
with
>> anything except the device that created it.

This is incorrect. CD-RW is a standard. The issue is that rewritable discs
require a more powerful laser due to reduced reflectivity, so the drive must
be capable of adjusting the laser's power settings based on the media (CDR
or CDRW). If you put data on a CDRW you can use it in any drive that
supports CDRWs. Almost all cd burners will read/write CDRWs, and most newer
CD-ROMs will also read them. Older CD-ROM drives and most audio players will
not read them.

To respond to another post on this subject: You can in fact put audio tracks
on a CDRW, however, you won't be able to listen to them in any regular CD
player unless it specifically supports CDRW. You'd have to listen to them
with a computer.

- Ryan Wright, MCP (ryan.wright@xxxx)
- Web Operations Analyst
- Lamb-Weston, Inc.