[DML] RE: mode switch hissing etc.

With all due respect to Darryl T & Mike G,

Mike G's method of removing the radio is really slick, but it's not for me.
My opinion, especially for newbies, is to take the console cover off and
move the radio bracket forward to work on the radio and the a/c controls.
This is for several reasons:

1) The center air vents are rather fragile. Without reaching behind the
dash to release the clips, I would be worried about breaking the plastic.
In order to get a hand in there, you are going to need to remove the console
cover.

2) The vinyl boots on the center air vents collapse too easily. There was
no way I could get mine back together properly without access from the top.
I think some D's are missing these boots because some mechanics didn't have
the patience to fit them back without removing the console.

3) I admit that I have very large hands, and my hands were too big to reach
behind the console to access the mode switch. I had to move the bracket
forward to have enough room to work.

On a similar subject, I have read posts about how many people like to remove
a seat to work under the dash. To me, this would be a total waste of time.
I have no trouble slithering under there with the seats in place while other
people wouldn't even consider it. Yet on the other hand, I wouldn't think
of working behind the radio bracket without first removing the console cover
and at least loosening the radio bracket.

Probably the best advice is to disturb as little as you can get away with.
And I'm sure that it helps to have small hands.

Walt Tampa, FL