Re: *sigh*... today is one of those days

Re: *sigh*... today is one of those days

I like your analogy of cooking the elephant. While it is true that big
problems can be reduced to a bunch of little problems sometimes you
need to step back and look at the "big" picture. You can't kill the
elephant a little at a time or cut off a piece at a time. You must
attack (kill) the BIG problem. It is always helpful to know the
history of a car but in some cases we can infer from symptoms some of
the major events. If the car was indeed in deep water an experienced
eye could see that and if it was then you could reasonably anticipate
the troubles that will occur and what to do. Attacking them one by one
will disappoint you when they arise and shake your confidence in the
car. Better to "bite the bullet" and go through the whole cure then to
repeatedly have the car leave you stranded or have recurring
intermittant problems. Going after the symptoms and not delving into
the root cause will have you chasing the problems instead of getting
ahead of them and fixing the car once and for all. This is one of the
differences between a guy who fixes cars for a hobby and someone who
is knowledgeable about cars and has years of experience. When you go
to the garage for repairs although you think they are talking you into
a bigger job then you need they are really offering to fix the WHOLE
problem not just the symptoms. Most shops will want to repair a
problem right the first time because even if the owner thinks he was
overcharged he is happier than the customer who in spite of paying has
to keep bringing the car back again and again. If you lose the
alternater ground you also lose the B+ reference (ground) so it can no
longer figure out what the output voltage is even though it can still
read B+.( one of the drawbacks of having the regulater in the
alternater)
Just my 2 cents worth.
david Teitelbaum
vin 10757