RE.RE. Headlight trouble

A few posts ago I read this remark and had to stick my nose in,

"The internal part that goes "click-click" is plastic. It probably broke
inside, and believe me it is not worth the time to fix. There are many ball
bearings, etc., inside. So more than likely you will have to replace the
stalk mechanism. $165.00"

It only cost me around $15.00 to buy a switch unit from a Mini car in a
scrapyard (or junkyard as I think you refer to them in the USA) don't you
think it is worth trying to fix it, when you take the unit apart you will
see how basic it is.

As stated it will most probably be the small plastic component which is
broken but the dip/beam switch unit from a 1985 + Mini car is exactly the
same Lucas unit. As I said in a previous post the mini unit can not be
transplanted onto the DeLorean as the hole for the steering column is too
small but the actual components within the switch, including the plastic
part which is causing your problems, are the same.

I think I remember there being 2 ball bearings & 2 springs, but they are
under very little tension and will not spring out if you take it apart
slowly, also you will have spare springs & ball bearings from the Mini
switch unit when you disassemble it.
I saved myself $150.00 by doing this and it has worked like new for 7 months
now. if your going to buy a new one what have you got to loose? it only took
about 20 mins to take the two units apart and I had it back on the car
working within the 2 hours at most.

Just out of interest has the person who wrote the above actually taken the
unit apart?

Regards

James RG

P.S. I don't want to start the usual e-mail war which is usually caused when
someone contradicts another persons advice, I just speak from my own
experiences.