Re: Scan your keys,before you lose them

Claude wrote:

> For future referance I would suggest you scan your keys into your
> computer (both sides)and make them to scale(1 to 1)

I'm not sure about the 2-key-cars, but the key on my car is
symmetrical, so you'd only have to scan one side...

I happened to stumble upon another GREAT possibility:
when I bought my car, all I got was 2 worn copies.
They worked quite well, but looked terrible.

Since I'm still working out technical bits 'n pieces I didn't
want to spend $24,95 on a key just yet, so I asked a local
locksmith for a copy with a plastic head, just so it would
look better on my keyring (call it vanity if you will...)

What happened then was a big surprise to me:
het took out his "Book of Keys" with an actual match for the
DeLorean key in it and clamped my "original copy" in a
touch-scanner... He was able to determine the ORIGINAL
cuttingsequence for my car!

I got a nice, SHARP key, which woked instantly. The ignition
works even better with this NEW key than it did with the keys
I had! (on the doors too, but I don't really use those because
of the remote on my alarm system.
In fact I was so satisfied that I bought a second one as a
spare; I didn't even have to bring an original:
he had been so kind as to write down the sequence-number for me.
Total costs for two keys including cutting was less than $13,-

I'm in the Netherlands, so I'm not sure if it can be of any
help to anyone outside Europe, but if anyone wants, I can
go check out what kind of machine they used...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at:
http://www.deloreanfiles.nl/

PS. If you can't bring your car to the locksmith for testing
the keys, bring along the lid for the box behind the driversseat!
If it works in there it allmost surely will on the other lock too!