Re: [DML] Re. Sender Unit hard to repair

Re: [DML] Re. Sender Unit hard to repair

James,

Many years ago when the supply of original fuel senders was exhausted I took
on a research project to develop a repair procedure for this very important
device. I used three senders using different repair techniques. After six
month's of tests and trials none of the senders held up. In my opinion
repair of the original sender is not suggested. This device, which sends an
electrical signal to the dash fuel gauge to indicate the amount of fuel
remaining in the tank is of marginal quality. Its design flaw is not the
electrical design or circuit, it is the materials it is built of. Most of
the
unit is made of plastic with weak electrical components and connections.

Consider yourself lucky that you were able to resurrect your sender but I
don't agree with your statement:

"If you were to rate on a difficulty scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most
complicated I would rate putting your key in the ignition as 8 and fixing
the sender unit as 10"

As for as repair of the sender; just attempting to take it apart and putting
it back together is a challenge. I have no disagreement with an owner with
the knowledge, mechanical ability, and proper tools attempting such repairs,
but I would be very cautious about suggesting that this is an easy repair
for the average "shadetree mechanic", especially when you consider that the
procedure involves a "live" electrical component that sits inside the fuel
tank; remember "flight 800".

DMC Joe

"We're here to help you"

DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@xxxx>