Re: [DML] Re. Sender Unit hard to repair

James RG wrote:

> I would like to dispel the myth that it is almost "impossible to repair the
> fuel sender unit" if you take the unit out and take it apart which consists
> of one nut, then you can see just how simple the workings are.

I am the one who made the "almost impossible" statement. Like you, I repaired
my fuel sender myself. Within two months its operation was intermittent and it
failed completely within a year.

I think I repared it about six more times. Yes, the mechanism is so simple that
it can be repaired without any explanation, instructions, or diagram. The
problem is not its complexity but its construction. The original fuel sender is
not very reliable.

James RG, if your original sender has better than intermittent operation I think
you should count yourself lucky. But perhaps the later units (like yours) were
built better than mine.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280 (early 81)
Sunny Cleveland