Re: [DML] Engine Swap Thread: My reasons

Re: [DML] Engine Swap Thread: My reasons

Just to give my opinion on the matter..the reason I went with an engine swap
is b/c I had alot of reliability issues with my DeLorean. Its really quite
strange, some people have problems every week with their D, and others never
do. The reason I think I had so many problems was probably due to earlier
on in the ownership. When I first got the DeLorean back in 1985 I was only
15 years old and had no clue how to work on a car so I took it to local
garages. (I'm not really near any of the DMC shops) Its amazing how many
places said they could work on the car, but no one could really fix it. I
just read someone's comments about taking it to a shop that said they had
worked on DeLorean's before and when he got there, they asked him to open
the front hood to check out problems. That EXACT thing did happen to me one
time as well, and I left quickly. Through the years, ALOT of different
shops worked on my car, but as I got older, I started tinkering with it
myself and learning how easy it really is to work on the DeLorean. However,
by this point, so many different shops had rigged and done some crazy
setups, the car was pretty much in bad mechanical shape. (Scott Muller can
attest to this ;o) ) When the engine died on me the last time, I priced
fixing the car and, at that point, I decided why not try to drop a Chevy
engine in it. So I did. As true purest see it, it is a desecration to the
car. However, I bought the car for my enjoyment and my enjoyment solely.
Some people may like the things I've done to my car (ground effects, rear
wing, stereo, alarm system w/ remote start via car phone, different seats,
etc) and some may not like what I've done. I'm quite happy and proud of my
car and that all that matters. Its kinda like the kid ricers. I don't
understand why someone buys a Honda Civic and puts 50 stickers on it, puts
big double wings on it and 18' rims...I don't like that but...if the owner
does...so be it. Who am I to judge his taste? Look at it this way, your
DeLorean just became a little rarer ;o)

Thanks,

Duke