Re: [DML] 5-speed vs. Automatic

I had two DeLoreans, both were automatics. I had to replace the
transmission computer once. However, I drove it everyday, everywhere when I
was an undergraduate student. It never let me down.
It performed well in Washington, DC stop and go traffic, and just as well
somewhere above 85mph. ;-). It did well in the snow too. It had a DMC ski
rack, and I took it frequently to Seven Springs Ski resort in PA.

I sold the car to a 17 year old young man named Eric Johnson of
Annapolis Md. He still owns the car and drives it to attend college.

The second automatic, an early 1981, I still own and drive with no
problems.

In addition, Automatics have a bad rap for some reason or another. The
DeLorean cars are great once they have ALL the updates performed. As we all
know, the bulk of the bugs found in the DeLorean or any other car, is a car
sitting (neglected) for an extended period of time. However, there are
exceptions.
Automatics are equal to 5 speeds in, reliability, cost of repair, and/or
replacement. Neglected 5-speeds have their share of problems just as a
neglected Automatic would have.
Additionally, I found a Renault telex to DMC Belfast, with the
confirmation of DMC's order of equal amounts of 5 speed & automatics in 1981.
(James Espey, I believe that you have a copy of this too.)
Based on what I have read on this list, Automatics equal to 5 speeds in,
reliability, cost of repair, and/or replacement.
The only difference between them, is if you want to shift around or glide
around.

Mike