Re: Cold engine and smoke

Usually if it is burning Antifreeze (from a cracked head of leaking
head gasket) you can tell. If you go behind the car as the engine is
idling, there will be sort of like a sweet smell to the exhaust. I AM
NOT SAYING TO PUT YOUR FACE NEAR THE EXHAUST PIPE! Just have the car
parked outside and idling and stand behind it for a second. You'll be
able to smell it. Also your D will overheat very easily if it is a
cracked head or blown head gasket causing the antifreeze burn. Since
the D's system is a closed cooling system, it needs pressure...any
loss of pressure will result in an overheat. Just because an exhaust
pipe drips some water dosen't mean it has a coolant leak. It can be
from a build up moisture in the exhaust system itself from the car
sitting either overnight or for an extended amount of time. Don't go
by that. If the Exhaust pipe (inside of it) is dark black it can
suggest a number of things, not just burning oil (example: engine
running to rich). A cracked head is VERY rare. I think what the
problem is as DMC Joe pointed out, excess gas in the cylinders that
is being burned off when he starts his car. What is causing this?
That I do not know for sure. Faulty cold start valve? a Bad injector
not closing properly after the pressure drops allowing gas to drip
into the cylinder?

Steve