Re: installing a Car-Alarm

> Actually i have reserved a day to get a Clifford Intelligaurd 6000 installed
> in my DeLorean. the cost will be about $350 installed (you can't buy them
and
> put them in yourself, or else the warranty will be void)

I had the same on my car; I have a TexAlarm-unit installed and it had to be
done by a certified installer (insurance demanded this).
It cost me about $500,-, but it does have a 5 year warranty and a yearly
inspection is included (and mandatory for insurance).

> features include two 4-button remotes, valet mode,

The TexAlarm has 2 button remotes, with "comfort-mode" if the car had
supported it (closing powerwindows and powerroof on setting the alarm),
unfortunately the DeLorean does not support this feature.
I'm kind of curious to the "Valet-mode", since valet parking isn't that common
in the Netherlands :-)

> i have a feeling they'll be calling me up saying they can't get
> something to work because they don't understand the car's wiring....

Except for the non-supported feature they got everything installed and working
on mine. I provided them with an electrical diagram (downloaded from the
vault) and colorcodes for it. They said they were happy to have it, especially
when tapping into the lock-module (I am currently working on a color version
of the diagram in a PDF-format).

They installed the ultrasonic "backwards"; the sensors are above the
rearwindow, in fact, the only wires in front of the rear wall of the cabin are
those leading to the LED in one of the dummy switches, the unit itself sits on
top of the RR-wheelwell, inside the pontoon, by the wires going into the
enginebay).

The LED signals alarm-state (on, off, automatic-ignition-cutoff after 2
minutes), sensor trip (when tripped this signals what set off the alarm), and
helps on programming extra remotes and shutting off the alarm without the
remote by entering a sort of morse-code on the ignition.

The only parts visible on my car are the LED, the Ultrasonics and the Siren,
but that last one is in the enginebay, under the cover...

The only problem I have had so far is the RHS-door not allways locking, but
this is due to a slight misalignment on the strikers I still have to work out.
Fortunately this misalignment isn't large enough to jam the mechanism, just
make the door just a little harder to open and close...

Hope everything works out for you too, just bring along the electrical diagram
(printed out in partson several sheets to make it larger and readable),
this helps a lot!

Greetings from The Netherlands,

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...