Re: Hylomar

Hmmmm...I am interested in this response too since I just put my
Manual transmission back together using Hylomar on the mating surface
of the two transmission case halves. I also used it in conjunction
with the paper seals for the Bell housing and end cover (where the
shifting is). I didn't install the transmission yet and it's sitting
on my work bench so if there is a problem I won't curse to much since
it's not in the car yet ;). I think the Hylomar is only good on
Machined smooth gasketless surfaces (such as the manual transmissing
casing halves are). As for anywhere else that has a gasket, I would
not use Hylomar alone (even though it says you can). I know if you
put to much of it on then you can cause a problem where it will keep
the mating surfaces to far apart from each other and cause small
gaps. You have to use THE LEAST amount of this stuff.

Steve

-- In dmcnews@xxxx, jtrealty@xxxx wrote:
> I would like to hear from anyone with experiance using Hylomar. I
used
> it to rebuild two final drives, 2 rear axles and a transfer case.
The
> rears and transfer case were not on Deloreans. EVERYONE LEAKS. I
have
> not resealed the final drives (too much work) but I had to reseal
the
> rears and case (they leaked TOO MUCH). After this I won't use
Hylomar