Fuel Lines

Alright, so here is the story. My original fuel lines from the fuel
pump to the metal lines went bad. I went to Auto Zone bought some
5/16 fuel line and replaced them and everything was fine....until I
started to think about the pressure.

I wrote a posting to this forum and asked for advise and everyone
said that I must have high presuure fuel lines. I got nervous and I
ordered them from DMC Joe. He had them sent through PJ Grady and
they arrived this weekend.

DMC Joe offered them to me already "made up" with the connectors on
them. I declined as I thought that $30 bucks more was a lot to spend
for a "little labor." Big mistake!

Anyway, I tired heating the hoses with a industrial heat gun and it
was not enough to get them properely seated. I then heated the
connectors with a torch and that worked but then I worried about
doing damage to the hoses.

In any case, my concerns were properly founded as when I blew
commpressed air through the lines and they were partically blocked.
I finely "drilled" the blockages out and assembled the hoses to the
pump and the metal fuel lines.

Lastly, one of the fittings is on the pump itself and you cannot heat
that one with a torch, unless, you have very good insurance. I can
tell you that getting the last one on is a true nightmere. I was not
able to get it fully on, but I believe that it is on sufficiently to
clamp and I noticed no leaks when I ran the engine.

All in all, a time consumming job. It would have been better to have
bought them assembled and then installed them! If you try to save a
buck you end up spending more and have to live with the concern that
maybe you did not do it right.

Anyway, in defference to Walter I think that I have now exceeded the
length for a normal posting but I hope that my experience helps
someone else.

Scot
6452