Engine cover springs

Just got my car last week, didn't see anything to pop the cover, got 2
small coil springs just long enough to put slight tension on the lid
while closed, took 2 pieces of old vacuum hose (about 2/3 the length of
the springs) with an od slightly smaller than the id of the springs and
screwed the springs onto them, the id of the hose is just smaller than
the od of the threaded portion of the louver door latch that extends
below the door and just screwed the hose into place. Everything fits
and works perfectly, feels like it's bolted on but it's not. I show it
off to everyone who will hold still for it, it's really clever and I
don't do much in the really clever department. If anyone wants pix or
dimensions, no problem, let me know...Les jhuckins@xxxx