Re: Auto Trans permanently in neutral

The problem you are describing does appear unusual. The way I would
start would be to verify that both ends of the shift cable are
connected and adjusted properly. This requires the car to be raised
off the ground and drop the oil and pan. The cable could also have
broken or one of the ends came off. If you find that the shift cable
is working and the trans still doesn't move you could have a bad shift
valve body to a bad pump to blown clutches. The next step would be to
see what the line pressure is. Without good line pressure you won't be
going anywhere. Make sure there is enough trans fluid and it isn't
"burnt". Check these things and get back to the list if the trouble
isn't obvious. If when you pull the pan down and it is full of
friction materiel you will be "biting the big one"(a full rebuild of
the trans).
David Teitelbaum