Re: Engine Problems

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE WITH THE COLD START VALVE ALWAYS OPEN!!!! This
is VERY dangerous in 2 ways: 1. If the engine doesn't start within
the first 18 seconds or so, it can create a fire hazard. 2. You can
do serious damage to your engine by washing out the cylinders!

Here are a few things to check.

1. Verify that you have the correct fuel pressure.
a. If the accumulator is bad, when you blew air thru it, it may
very well have blown thru the cracked internal seal and gone
down thru the return line giving false results.
b. It may be a slow/clogged fuel pump, and/or a bad accumulator.
The fuel injectors will only open once fuel pressure has reached
a specific PSI. Opening the cold start valve by-passes the in-
jectors to feed the engine, but there is no control what so
ever on how much fuel the engine is fed this way. If the seal
inside of the accumulator is damaged enough, it could be
bleeding pressure out of the fuel system.

2. Verify that the frequency valve is buzzing.

3. As a safety precaution, NEVER REUSE ANY OF THE COPPER SEALS!!!

4. Verify that all of your vaccum lines are connected, and that none
have any types of cracks or leaks.

5. Even though you've just put brand new sparkplugs in, make sure that
they are properly gapped! I've had symptoms very close to yours:
Engine had a hard time starting. Hit the gas, and it would stall.
In my case it was a cylinder not firing intermidantly. Installed
new plugs that I gaped first, VIOLA! Engine runs like new!

6. Although it is tempting, DO NOT adjust the mixture screw just yet.

Check all these items to make sure that everything checks out ok.
Then take it from there for all the items that don't. There are also
a couple of electrical items to check as well, but you may just want
to start out easy.

-Robert