RE: [DML] DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)

RE: [DML] DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)

I was out driving DeLorean Motor Company's 200hp "Phase 1" car today here in
Phoenix, and I talked to Mr. Wynne about this. Stephen told me (and I hope
this is okay for me to share) that 230hp will be the next step. He did not
give me a timeline, but since they still have only prototypes for the 200hp
engine and Mr. Wynne always makes sure things are done correctly, we could
only guess.

I'm actually glad someone brought this subject up. The Arizona DeLorean
Club held our second DeLorean Motor Company Tech Day with Mr. Wynne, James
Espey, and one of DMC's ace mechanics, Bill Morgan today. We had 14 cars in
attendance (I'm not positive on this number-give or take a car), and there
were torsion bar adjustments for all and a good time was had by everyone
there. The Arizona club, and particularly myself, owe Stephen, James, and
Bill a debt of gratitude. A big thanks from me on behalf of everyone in
attendance goes out to our friends from Houston.

Back to the topic of the engine: I had the car for about an hour and
everyone else in attendance got a drive too, and I must say I was more than
impressed. It is an '81 painted black with an automatic tranny and DMC's
suspension upgrade package (4 new shocks and 4 new springs) and of course
the 200hp engine. The car handles like a dream. I did a quick u-turn after
getting off the freeway so I could get back on for a little while and the
car did not lean whatsoever. The shocks improve the ride too. The engine
is noticeably better, especially at higher RPM. I did some, uh, testing ;-)
down the freeway to see what she could do, and where my stock 5-speed seems
to enjoy a highway cruising speed of about 75mph, the 200hp car purred at
around 90-100mph. In fact, the only disappointing thing about the car was
that Stephen hadn't switched out the stock 85mph speedo with his 170mph
upgrade, so if I'd have been pulled over the police would've had to inform
me of my speed ;-).

In summary, the car looks and rides great with the suspension upgrade, and
has significantly more punch to it with the new engine. I was kind of sad
to get back into my stock '82, but I'll be sending mine down to Houston for
the upgrades as soon as I can. Thanks again to DeLorean Motor Company and
to Mesa Auto Works for hosting the event.

Ryan McCaffrey
#10014
Arizona DeLorean Club