suspension, handling and other points of contention.

suspension, handling and other points of contention.

I have been surprised by the ferocity of disagreement regarding the handling characteristics of the Delorean, particularly as it compares to the Audi TT. I hope these words will help cool the debate.

I have found that due the DMC-12's 20-something age, no two Deloreans are in exactly the same condition. Different DMC-12 owners possess wildly disparate cars depending on their climate, use, maintenance, and good fortune. My Delorean drives better now than during my five previous years of ownership thanks to a rebuilt distributor, new brakes, and the replacement of a bent wheel hub (which I had no idea was bent until I replaced the brake rotors). Due to his relationship with DMC Houston, I assume that James has access to near pristine cars. I know this has been my experience with other Delorean shops. His staunch support of its abilities does not surprise me in the least; certainly he the most positive frame of reference. I suspect much of the disagreement stems from different perspectives resulting from experience with different DMC-12s.

In regard to the Audi, I recently saw a few TTs at the Los Angeles Auto Show. It is an attractive car, particularly in regard to its brushed aluminum trimmed interior. However, the TT coupe, which is less wide than the Delorean, feels cramped to me. In regard to handling, the car fared poorly against its contemporaries in a August 2000 Car and Driver comparison. It is heavy (3438 pounds) and unbalanced (58.7/41.3, which is not as bad as the DMC-12). The article notes that "the TT shares the basic bones of the front-drive Volkswagen Golf, a heritage that shows up in the roadster's weight distribution". Although it is a design masterpiece, the TT was not intended to push the performance envelope. It is perhaps the perfect car for comparison to the DMC-12.

Do I think the Delorean could outperform the Audi? Definitely, but not because of the engineering (or re-engineering) put into either. At our skill level (and let's face it, we are all amateurs), I believe that driver ability, rather than skid pad numbers or slalom times, proves the ultimate deciding factor between two similar cars. The TT, like the Delorean, has different handling characteristics than the average car. The Car and Driver staff called the TT "ungainly". The staff of Motor Trend required some tips from Audi (namely, accelerate hard through corners) before posting impressive slalom times. Most TT drivers probably have not had their car long enough to master it. I'm sure James could give most of them a run for their money.

I myself have dusted several newer cars with my Delorean, including an 80s-era 911 on Mulholland and a 90s-era 300Z on Sunset Boulevard. With its superior horsepower, the Z nearly caught up every straightaway, only to hit the turns too hard and fall behind again. This brings up a final point: suspension is only one contributor to overall handling. A car's acceleration and braking characteristics play an equally large role in keeping it pinned to a line. If the TT ultimately handles better than the Delorean, it is probably due primarily to its horsepower advantage (listed at 225 for the turbo).

Regardless of my car's age and outdated engineering, I left the car show elated. I would certainly not trade my car for a TT, even though the convertible Audi costs twice as much as a used Delorean. First, I would like to upgrade my engine to see if my 18 year old can play with the new TT. However, until then, if any of the Delorean shops are thinking about developing brushed stainless or aluminum interior trim (control knobs, dash bezel, etc.) for the DMC-12, please count me among your potential customers.

Regards,
Todd Connors