Hello! And: Upcoming purchase ...

Hi! A quick intoduction since I've never posted to the list before.
I'm Farrar Hudkins, a musician and radio announcer in New Orleans. But
enough about me.

Now, my question for you "experts" ...

I have saved for quite a while to get my "dream car," and I don't mind
doing work on it as I already have reliable transport. (However my goal
is to have a "daily driver.") I am considering purchasing a DeLorean
(late 81, automatic) from a private seller -- according to the owner,
who has not had it for a very long time and has no previous owner repair
records, the only thing it needs is a new exhaust manifold gasket.
That's easy to replace, so I figured I would bring the gasket with me on
the plane and install it before I drive the car home. However, the
drive home is several HUNDRED miles. This car has close to 40,000 miles
on it so I assume that it has been driven enough to have avoided
"falling into decay." My question is: What else should I look for,
before I drive it home ... besides all the rubber bits. After all, the
price is very attractive, and I can't help but be paranoid about getting
such a deal, and one drawback of getting a car that age with few miles
on it is disrepair ...

Thanks in advance, and it's nice to be a part of the list I've been
reading archives of for a while. :)

- Farrar Hudkins