Re: [DML] Water in the blower motor.

Robert,

Thanks for the advice. However, the drain that you are talking about is
spotlessly clean. I have the fuel tank out and noticed that from laying
under the car, I could look up through this hole and see through the
windshield grill and on up to the garage ceiling. It really caught my eye
since I didn't expect to see any light coming through from that angle.

Don't worry, I didn't remove my fuel tank in following your advice to clean
this path out! I had a noisy fuel pump, cracking (but dry) fuel lines,
gasoline odor, a disintegrated fuel suction screen, a shrunken up fuel pump
boot cap, rusted fuel return line.... oh I'm wasting my time here listing
everything. Let's just say that just about everything that could be bad --
was bad.

Near where the fuel lines exit/enter the console area, there is an open
rubber hose which appears to be the a/c condensate drain, but I'm only
making an assumption here. It is also very clean looking. I'm going to
blow some air in there through the shop hose just for good measure, but I
don't think a clog anywhere is the problem.

Since I have had plenty of condensate drip from the a/c unit into the
footwell of the passenger compartment, I figure that rust in the blower
motor was caused by this. Although I don't like assuming that condensate
collecting on the outside of the a/c also means that I have it collecting or
dripping inside the blower. My a/c has a thin layer of black foam stuck on
the outside. I think I heard that this was an after thought to better
insulate the area to prevent condensation, but condensate still collects on
the surface of this foam as well as on the areas that the foam does not
protect.

I am open to the idea that perhaps the drain that you mentioned was clogged
at one time, and a previous owner had it cleaned out before I bought the
car. But the car appears to have spent very little of its life in the
weather. It now has 13K miles on it.

I have a suspicion that the blower motors on Deloreans fill with condensate
only because of a poor design since I have read about people having similar
problems. But this is only a suspicion. From the looks of the a/c design,
there appears to be a cover plate on the top that can be used as an optional
place to mount the blower. Mounting the blower at this spot would certainly
stop water from collecting in it (as the motor would now be upside down),
but I would have to remove the whole a/c unit to fit the blower from that
side. Also, it would require a different style squirrel cage and a motor
that spins in the opposite direction. Then there may not be enough
clearance for the body of the motor, not to mention how much trouble this
would be to go to.

Since there is an optional place to mount the blower, this indicates that
the unit was used in other cars. Does anybody have an idea which make and
model cars?

I'm going to start putting everything back together this morning. My new
beer can fuel sending unit baffle is coming along nicely. I'll take a few
pictures as I put it together. Maybe Foster's Brewery will sponsor me. :)
I'm having trouble finding some stiff stainless steel wire to hold it down
like the fuel suction baffle is. I'm going to check with a live stock
fencing company to see if they have the wire.

Walt Tampa, FL