Re: John Delorean and Reliability.

Before I reply, I must ask one thing. What exactly is the purpose of
your posting? Are you considering purchasing a DeLorean for yourself,
or someone you know and want to know more about it? Or is it
something else? As far as reliability goes the DeLorean is a very
reliable car once is has been raised to it's proper operating
standard. By this of course I mean a variety of itmes. Things such as
trailing arm bolts, updated cooling pipes, improved electrical
relays, etc... And even then depending upon when the car was built it
and/or who owned the car before you it may already have these
updates/repairs completed. Ownership is a very important thing when
it comes to a car. Let me give you an example: I own the
proclaimed "DeLorean from hell". I have had problems with my car that
would make the jaws of most everyone on the list here drop to the
floor. But NONE of the problems that I've have with the car have been
due to any defects or problems with it's design. My car sat for over
a decade in the desert. That alone would have been enough to warrant
a good number of problems. But it was also coupled with a string of
mechanics before I came along who ended up causing more problems then
they fixed. Alot of the items that have gone wrong with my car were
easily preventable had I have known they were there in the first
place. But because I was told they had already been taken care of, I
overlooked them. Many of the lessons learned with my car were learned
the hard way. If I could do it all over again there are a number of
things I would have done differantly. But the one that I would never
have changed was buying a DeLorean.
Geting back to your question though rahter then just my personal
experiences, the DeLorean is a very reliable car. It has in a sense
been blessed with a strong motor and trans-axle, great suspension,
and a beauty second to none! One thing that you have to remember is
that in many cases here on the list a good number of postings are
from people like myself who are bringing our cars back onto the road.
And these postings are concerning repairs that have to be made due to
neglect rather then design flaws. But even then one thing that you
need to remember with the DeLorean is that it was somewhat rushed
thru it's production. So any types of flaws that would normaly be
discovered durring closed road testing and development were found out
by the consumers. But nothing that came up was something that
couldn't be overcome on the production line. If you want to talk
about poor designs look at the Geo Metro hatchback. The SRS module is
located directly under the cup holder. It is entirly possible that by
spilling a drink you could trip the module and force the air bags
into deploying while driving. Or what about the A series cars put out
by GM from '78-'83 with the gas tank only 11 inches away from the
rear bumper, or what about "side sadle" mounted gas tanks on GM
trucks? I would consider that more of a design flaw then an
underpowered fan fail relay. In the end, I just don't see the
connection that you've made between the Vega and the DeLorean. John
DeLorean didn't design the Vega, he was head of Chevrolet when it
came out. That's the only connection. If I recall right, JZD wasn't
that fond of the Vega either. As far as DeLorean's go. Higher milage
is usually better simply because if it's been driven that far, then
someone must have cared for it somewhat to enable it to go the
distance.

-Robert
vin 6585
I'd rather push my DeLorean then drive any car made by GM!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Sternbach, William [IT]"
<William_Sternbach@xxxx> wrote:
> [MODERATOR'S NOTE: DeLorean reliability has been discussed on the
list in the past. It's been a while since it was last dicussed, so
I'm letting this thread start again for the newcomers. Please focus
reply postings on facts -- the usual moderating filters will be in
place.]

> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to make a polite comment about John Delorean and
Reliability.