A frightning experience(Part 1)

Hi folks,
Let me right off the bat apologize for the length of this post.(I hope
the moderator doesn't cut it). I am sure it will provide many jokes, may
make you cringe, but will hopefully provide some guidence and some 'lessons
learned' from a fellow Delorean owner.
Let me just say that up until now my Delorean has been a great car with
minimal problems. I have taken it on two 500+ mile trips without a problem
and had considered it a reliable daily driver(although I do own a Ford
pickup which is my primary vehicle). It is a higher mileage, 1982, 5 speed.
So my girlfriend and I decide to go out to dinner. We decide to take the
Delorean. No problems until I get off the interstate to fill the car with
gas. As I decelerate, I look in the rearview to see steam/smoke rising from
the rear. Ohh noo. Also, the clutch pedal gets soft and I hear a screeching
sound(like a loose belt) coming from the rear. I ease into the station. I
fill the car, and look under the hood, a little burnt smell, but not too
bad. I look into the clutch resevoir to see it is empty. Hmmmm. I fill it
with DOT4 and decide to slowly drive home. The car is shifting OK, but
something is definently wrong with the clutch, as it makes a horrendous
sound everytime it is engaged.(I am taking the back roads so as to not go
fast on the interstate, plus I want to be in town near stuff in case
something happens). Good choice. Wait, this story is just getting good.
So I come to a stoplight and reach on the panel to turn off the
heater.(It was cold outside) I hit the headlight switch inadvertantly. No
problem. I push them back on, except for the switch sticks and they between
parking & headlights and they aren't lit. OK, so I pull over, Shut the car
off and proceed to take the A/c panel off. Only, my tools I normally carry
in the Delorean(for just this sort of problem) are in the house b/c I used
them for another project. Doh! I use a hair clip(from my girlfriend) to
loosen the screw and take the panel off. The switch is toast. It is
definently stuck, I can't get it unstuck with out taking the dash apart and
I can't 'wiggle' the switch to get them on.
I'm not too far from home, so I turn on the 4 way flashers and limp home.
I am wiggling the switch(as I drive slowly) to get the lights on and
VIOLA...headlights.(All this time I still have the shrieking clutch).Then,
they go out again one more wiggle and....the switch shorts out. It sparks.
No problem. As the smoke clears I drive. Here is the dialouge of what
happened next--

(me) There's a lot smoke.
(girlfriend) yes. It's still smoking.
(me) Is the car on fire?
(gf)I don't know.... Ummmm...It's on fire!(as smoke starts filling the
car)
(gf) Nate, the car's on fire!
(me) I know, I know!

At this time, flames start coming from the dash. I floor it, trying to
find somewhere to stop, some sort of business...something open at 8pm. I go
about 2 blocks, fire continuing, smoke filling the cabin and I spot a bakery
shop, so I make my play. I come full throttle into the parking(with no
headlights) And come screeching brakes locked in front of the front door. My
girlfriend and I evacuate the car rather quickly as the store manager comes
out in awe. My girlfriend and I can manage only two words: Fire Exinguisher!
The manager comes out, give two quick bursts in the dash to put the fire
out. My girlfriend says that this was the most exciting, awesome part of
this experience(if we can call it that) as the white powder fills the car,
out the other side(both doors were left open) and into the air. She says it
was beautiful, a la 'Back to the Future' as the smoke fills the air coming
from the Delorean. She wishes we could have gotten a picture. Somehow I
missed this moment of sheer beauty!!
So, the fire is out. We got a ride home. The Delorean spent the night in
town. Most importantly, my girlfriend and are all right. In fact, we are
laughing about this whole experience. It is definently a story to tell.
Damage to the car looks minimal, since the fire burned for 30-60sec. max. No
damage to the dash I can see. Biggest problem is the Fire Extinguisher
material(a white dust) that covers the interior. I hope we can vac that out.
(I am going to tow the car home today, so after a better look I can comment
more).
The moral of the story: BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!! We were lucky the whole
car didn't burn. I never thought it would happen to me. A fire can start so
quickly...esp. in Deloreans. I need not say more; I plan to buy one today
for every car I own. Even if you just drive around the block---this fire
happened about 10miles away from my house. I hope this doesn't happen to
anyone else. I will post more after I pick up the car today and it is safe
at home. (OK, you can laugh now!!)
More info later...

P.S.--This story is dedicated to the wonderful Lucas Electronics. Quality
you can feel.(In flames...)

Nathan "Flames" Green<----My new nickname at work...
gzen21@xxxx

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88mph you're gonna' see
some serious s--t"
-Doc Brown: "Back to the Future"

Tired of slow Internet? Get @Home Broadband Internet
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html