Re: [DML] DMCA 160 mph speedometer face

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Dee Moats wrote:
> Richard, I have a 160 mph speedometer on my car but it has been there so
> long I forgot where I purchased it. My question is two fold, why don't you
> like it and why keep it if no one else has one. The old 85 mph model seemed
> always to be pegged out so I at least have one that registers how fast I am
> going. FYI the desire to speed has diminished with age.

I don't like it because is doesn't match the rest of the instrument
cluster, not even close. The black background is different, more of a
matte finish, the typeface is different from the tachometer, the type is
blurry, there are no 5 mph markings, and it just doesn't look right in the
car. Also my car is in fairly original shape (it has 3900 miles and the
original NCT tires), and if I'd ever put it in a concours, it would be
nice not to have a deduction for the speedometer. But, I keep it because
it's piece of the car's history, and I wouldn't feel right getting rid of
something there's so few of. Besides, with my luck, the numbers
underneath have been sanded down to make them flat, and if I peel the 160
face off, I'll have two ruined speedo faces.

Jim Reeve also asked about the price. In the newsletter I scanned it out
of, "De Gull Wing" Nov/Dec 1982 vol. 1 no. 4, which is the first mention
of this face being available, the price is $250 installed. In all the
other issues I have, the price has dropped to $89.95 installed. Even at
that price, I don't think they sold many.

Richard Schauer
rws@xxxx