Re: Partial throttle problems

Well you seem to have a tough problem. Assuming all of the parts you
replaced were the correct ones and that none of the new ones were
defective and you did it correctly then we can also assume that the
problem wasn't in any of the origional parts that you replaced since
you haven't touched the problem. This is a perfect example of "replace
till we fix it, we don't have to try to diagnose". At this point
instead of testing all of the parts you replaced we could try to start
troubleshooting directly unfortunatly the single most important device
to use is something you don't have. You need to put a fuel system
pressure tester on the system and observe the fuel pressures at the
time of the symptoms. I will guess you have a 5 speed so the
deceleration problem is caused by the rapid reduction of the
throtttle. That may be normal depending on the severity. If you have
an automatic then check out the vacum modulater and vacum lines to it.
For the "light throttle" if you mean accelerating at part throttle
then a possiblily is the control pressure regulater or the metering
unit itself. Again a vacum leak will cause this and there are many
connections under the intake manifold that you can't see. Another
possibility is a problem in the fuel tank like a hole in the pickup
hose, loose or incorrect baffles, kinked pickup hose etc. Sucking air
at a critical time would lower fuel pressure and cause the car to
"hiccup".Please post to the group so we can follow your progress and
offer more suggestions and see what the cause was.One more thing to
check, on the intake there are 3 adjusting screws, make sure they are
all LIGHTLY seated in, they are not to be used to adjust idle, the
idle motor does that. Also make sure the vent hose on the control
pressure regulater is not kinked or plugged up.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757