Advantages of Fanzilla (was Re: Fuse block (was Fuses))

Advantages of Fanzilla (was Re: Fuse block (was Fuses))

Jim,

If you are going to wire a separate relay for each fan, then I think it
would be a good idea instead of using one 40 amp breaker, to use two 20 amp
breakers -- one for each fan. Then if one fan kicks a breaker, it won't
take the other fan with it.

The Fanzilla module uses two 20 amp fuses with two relays.
(I don't mean to pick on you John, but even the Zilla engineer agrees with
my fuse sizing recomendation. :)
Each relay has a delay. When the fans are supposed to come on (either
because of the otterstat or the a/c) the delays allow the a/c compressor to
first come on by itself. Then a moment later the delay on the first relay
expires allowing the first radiator fan to come on. Then a moment after
this, the delay on the second relay expires allowing the second fan to come
on. When the fans turn off, the delays work the same way but in reverse.
This really helps smooth out the load on the electrical system and reduces
spikes to sensitive stereo equipment. When I shut my car off, the last fan
will still be running as I open the door. The sound alone gives a cool
effect. People see me drive up and they hear the engine stop. Then they
hear one fan turn off and then a moment later the second fan turns off. It
makes people wonder just what all those noises are. I say that it's just
the flux capacitor winding down.

Walt Tampa, FL